Arthur M. Owens
- Seton Hall University School of Law, Newark, New Jersey
- J.D. - 2005
- Lafayette College, Easton, Pennsylvania
- B.A. - 2002
- Major: Political Science
- Minor: Psychology
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit
Mr. Owens was selected for inclusion in the Rising Stars list by New Jersey Super Lawyers magazine for the last decade (2010-2020), and most recently in 2021 and 2022.* In 2017, he was honored by the New Jersey Law Journal as a "New Leader of The Bar", which recognizes notable achievements by attorneys yet to reach 40 years of age.
In his more than 15 years of practice, Mr. Owens has obtained significant victories for his clients at trial and through arbitration, mediation and settlement. Representative matters include:
- Secured defense award after 25-day arbitration of complex business dispute between national retailer and ecommerce vendor.
- Obtained summary judgment and award for counsel fees and costs in connection with dispute with a condominium sponsor.
- Represented large hospital system in connection with successful litigation against competing hospital system and insurer.
- Successfully represented defense contractor in litigation and recovery efforts resulting from cyberattack.
- Successfully represented a private aviation company in connection with litigation relating to losses incurred in Hurricane Sandy.
- Secured summary judgment in favor of construction management firm in connection with business tort claims asserted by general contractor.
- Appointed National Class Counsel for NCAA student athletes in landmark settlement related to the misappropriation of digital likenesses by Electronic Arts in its NCAA Football video game series.
Mr. Owens is active in the Essex County Bar Association, New Jersey State Bar Associations, American Bar Association, Section of Litigation and has lectured and published articles on a variety of topics. He was appointed as a Trustee of the Essex County Bar Association in 2016 and was reappointed in 2019. In 2020 and 2021, he served as the Director of Programming for the ECBA. He is also the Vice-Chair of New Jersey State Bar Association's Federal Practice and Procedure Committee.
Prior to joining Clark Guldin, Mr. Owens was a partner at Lum, Drasco & Positan, LLC, in the litigation department. Upon graduation from law school, he was a law clerk on the New Jersey Superior Court, Appellate Division, for the Honorable Clarkson S. Fisher, Jr., J.A.D.
- Authored Op-Ed published in the New Jersey Law Journal regarding the judicial appointment crisis entitled Essex County is in a Nearly Untenable Situation, March 4, 2021.
- Speaker, ECBA Panel, "Baller$: The Intersection of Money and Amateurism in Major College Athletics", February 28, 2018, Prudential Center, Newark, NJ.
- Authored an Op-Ed published in New Jersey Law Journal entitled Fee Shifting in Legal Malpractice Litigation, June 6, 2016.
- New Jersey chapter in the American Bar Association, Section of Litigation's 50-State Survey of Accounting and Auditing Liability Issues, 2016.
- Authored article in ABA Center for Professional Responsibility's The Professional Lawyer Volume 23, Number 3, entitled General Jurisdiction and Multijurisdictional Practice Following Daimler AG v. Bauman, 2015.
- Authored article published in the ABA Section of Ethics and Professionalism Newsletter, entitled Ethical Issues in Communications with Proposed Class Members, February 5, 2014.
*The Super Lawyers list is issued by ThomsonReuters. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. A description of the methodology can be found at https://www.superlawyers.com/about/selection_process.html.
Super Lawyers® is a rating service of outstanding lawyers from more than 70 practice areas who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. The selection process for Super Lawyers has many steps and includes independent research, peer nominations and peer evaluations. Each candidate is evaluated on 12 indicators of peer recognition and professional achievement. Selections are made on an annual, state-by-state basis. The Super Lawyer's Rising StarsTM program recognizes top, up-and-coming attorneys in New Jersey who are 40 years old or younger, or who have been practicing for 10 years or less. The Super Lawyers' recognition is earned only by the top 5% of attorneys in the state and the Super Lawyer's Rising Stars' recognition is earned by only the top 2.5% of attorneys in the state.